Sunday, December 13, 2009

Rum Balls - How to Crush Things in Your Kitchen



Deck the halls with balls of rum, fa la la la laaa, la la la laaaa. It's the time of year for parties and sharing of favorite treats. These rum balls are easy to make and will be a hit at any party. I have found that anything that contains alcohol is a hit at a party.

This recipe brings up two kitchen questions:

1) How do I crush things in the kitchen?
You'll need crushed Nilla wafers and pecans for these rum balls.
You could use a food processor, or a blender, or a nut chopper or, here is a combo nut and spice grinder. Or you could use this recipe as an excuse to buy the Slap Chop and you can finally stop having a boring life.

(Those of you with weak stomachs, please skip this paragraph)
I highly recommend avoiding the KitchenAid Immersible Blender for crushing things. I don't know why I thought this was a good idea when I first tried to use it to chop up pecans - but I ended up in the emergency room needing a few stitches. Some of you out there are probably bright enough to avoid using your fingers to clean pecans from the blades while the blender is still plugged in. I blame this accident on being an immersion blender novice and on the early time of day - most of you know that 10am or earlier is not my best time of day. All in all, it was quite an embarrassing attempt at expressing myself for a Valentine's gift one year. I'm now quite meticulous about unplugging the blender unless I'm in the immediate act of blending. Thank you for taking me to the ER that day Emily!

Since my mini food processor died and my dog ate the rubber ring for the blender, I chose to kick it old school and used a rolling pin and a zip-lock bag. This method requires a little more brawn but is not as expensive as the other options.




2) Do I really need a double boiler (or insert other random kitchen tool)? 
This recipe advises to melt the chocolate in a double boiler. A double boiler helps to melt chocolate slowly by heating the bottom of the inset pan with hot water. Much better than finding yourself with burnt chocolate - a disappointment to all since it's not edible in any salvageable way.  Many pots and pan sets contain a double-boiler, but some require you to buy an extra pot to inset into a bigger pot. Some sets don't even offer this feature. So, the question is "Do I need this?" Well, if you work with chocolate and sauces, then yes it's probably a good thing to get your hands on. But I'm not sure if I would run out and get one. Instead, I would check out Goodwill, yardsales, Craigslist, or maybe rummage through married friends' basements looking for those wedding gifts they never use. You can take this same approach for other kitchen tools - microplanes, crockpots, ice cream makers, etc. Once you know that you will use them a lot, you can then upgrade and spend some dollars on a better model. My dad actually found my double boiler for me at Goodwill in West Lafayette when I was in college. At first I was skeptical and denied that I needed such a thing "Where am I going to put it?" Yet, it has come in useful, and is another situation where my dad can claim he knows best. It's a little on the large side and made of some aluminum mix making a potholder sometimes necessary, but I haven't had a need to upgrade yet.

Rum Balls 

Ingredients
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons corn syrup
1/3 cup rum - spiced or flavored, I used orange*
2 1/2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers (about 3/4 of a 12 ounce box)
1 cup finely crushed pecans

Instructions
Crush up vanilla wafers and pecans and mix in a bowl. Melt chocolate chips in a pot over boiling water (i.e. in a double boiler). Remove from heat and stir in sugar and corn syrup. Add rum and mix until well blended. Add vanilla wafer and pecans to chocolate mixture. Put in the fridge for a while to harden, about 10 to 15 minutes. Roll into balls, then roll balls in sugar or more crushed pecans.** Sometimes, I even sprinkle more rum over balls for good measure.



*If you only have white rum available, you can use this and experiment with your own flavorings -add vanilla or almond extract (probably about 1 to 2 teaspoons), or add a teaspoon cinnamon to spice it up.
**I think it's really difficult to make the pecans stick. Rolling them is sugar is by far the easier technique, and you can never go wrong with more sugar in anything :)

7 comments:

  1. this looks good, i may try making it for the office gathering, i've also made a lemon amaretto bundt cake that's a hit at the office

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they are fun. People can't help but giggle with a mischievious look when you announce "I've brought rum balls!"

    Would love to try to make the lemon amaretto bundt cake - care to share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. when did this finger incident happen? oh dear god!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Khop it was a few years ago, 2006 or 2007, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so i did end up making rum balls, but used a different recipe, oreos instead of vanilla wafers, and more rum instead of corn syrup, turned out well, even got a schweddy balls reference

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome MikeHo! Smart idea to remove the corn syrup if using oreos - I bet the oreo cream filling adds enough sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use Malibu Rum for a coconut effect. Even shredded coconut instead of the pecans

    ReplyDelete