Sunday, August 29, 2010

Writing with 5 Senses - The Lemon

Finding ways to improve my writing was one my goals of the International Food Blogger Conference. Here is a sample of what I worked on during the workshop "Writing With 5 Senses" with Kathleen Flinn, author of "The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry."

Sight - describe what the lemon looks like
This yellow fruit has a shallow pitted surface. It ranges between an oval and teardrop in shape, with the end that attaches to the tree more pointed. When sliced, a white fleshy rind holds wedges of translucent pulp full of juice. Pale seeds are found within the segments.

Tactile and Texture
The cold lemon feels heavy in my hand. I can feel each small dimple, creating a mini-massage for each of my fingers. The soft inner rind leads to a fresh wet pulp. A slight pressure releases a burst of juice that splatters and lands like a kiss on my skin.

Sound - start with closing your eyes and listen, describe without saying "chopping with a knife"
A thud of a basketball thrown against the wall repeats. As it continues, the thud blends into the crunch of biting into a fresh cucumber slice. What is this? Has Girl Talk sold out to the FoodNetwork and the NBA? No, a lemon is being sliced.

Smell - describe without using "lemon" or "citrus"
I enter the room and the smell of sunshine hits me full force. The brightness and freshness of the scent cleanses my lungs with happiness.

Taste - describe without using lemon or citrus
Burning acid washed over my mouth. My lips puckered, the taste reminding me of licking the flap to seal an old envelope. The taste of exposed flesh, the beginning of a canker sore, remained in the back of my throat.

Put It All Together - when writing, go beyond visual and taste, pick at least 3 senses to describe something from last night's reception

The lamp chops danced into the room to the sounds of oohs and aaahs. If you weren't looking, you would have thought they had jumped off the serving plate doing Rockette kicks. I couldn't stop staring at the moss covered meat. As the server approached, I picked out my over-sized lamb lollipop and asked for a not-so-red one with an apology. Holding onto my chop, reminiscent of a renaissance fair turkey leg, I took a bite and tasted spicy heaven in the garlic wasabi coating.

Summary - Pay attention to everything. Life is short. Challenge yourself to embrace the things you love. Slow down, live the moments, and use your five senses.

Lunch Assignment - write about your lunch experience using all 5 senses. Tweet link to #all5 and #IFBC


Writing Homework:
MFK Fisher - take a page of one of her books and extract verbs - write on separate page. Review for variety, sound, visions

7 comments: