Sunday, July 4, 2010

Strawberry TIramisu and the Art of Weight Maintenance


One of the unfortunate side effects of this blog is that I have gained weight. It happened the first time I set out to compile recipes for the original cooking with alcohol cookbook project and it's happening again with this blog. But one of the positives of gaining weight is that my boobs have gotten bigger! Granted, there are many factors that are contributing to the weight gain (less activity, dating a good cook, changes in metabolism as I age) and the boob growth (hormones, aging). So what do I change? I don't want to give up the blog or food or the boyfriend.....and I certainly don't want to give up the bigger boobs....so ONWARD.....I present Strawberry Tiramisu!

I kid, I'm not completely ignoring my weight gain. Luckily it's summer which makes being active much easier, so that's what I'm trying to change. I'm playing ultimate frisbee at least once per week, biking to work one or two days per week, and trying the Couch to 5K program. The Couch to 5K program is an interval training program where you start with alternating brisk walking (90 seconds) and running (60 seconds). Every week the running intervals get longer until you are running a 5K at week 9. There are some really great podcasts that play some pumping dance music and provide instruction on when to change your pace. I'm currently using Robert Ullrey's podcast. I haven't lost much weight but I haven't gained any more. I do feel a lot better in general - more energy and less body image conscious. Since my BMI is still under 25, I'll still eat desserts...I'll just make sure I make a trade with some physical activity when I do.

Before you read any further, plan your walk/run, bike, swim, kickball game, or put your name in at the gym for the elliptical machine. And don't forget to pick up the lady fingers, marscapone, heavy whipping cream. and strawberries on the way home!

I made a couple of changes to these recipes to use fresher ingredients and to fit my current pant size. The original recipe called for strawberry preserves, which seemed kind of silly, why not just use fresh mashed strawberries? Also, concerned about having tons of Tiramisu around and taking one step closer to a  BMI >25, I halved the recipe to make a 9 x 9 baking dish rather than a 13 x 9. I've also listed some great variations (Strawberry Tiramisu Bites!) to this recipe at the end.

Strawberry Tiramisu
Adapted fom: Giada De Laurentiis (Epicurious) and Paula Dean (FoodNetwork)

Ingredients
2 cups mashed fresh strawberries (about 1/2 quart)
1/3 cup plus 4 tablespoons Cointreau or other orange liqueur
1/3 cup orange juice
8 oz mascarpone cheese, room temperature (Italian cream cheese available at some supermarkets and at Italian markets)
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons chilled whipping cream
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

About 28 lady fingers (bourdoirs or Savoiardi) - the crispy kind, which are usually sold in packs of ~60
1/2 quart sliced strawberries (2 cups)


Instructions
Whisk strawberries, 1/3 cup Cointreau, and orange juice in a medium mixing bowl. Place mascarpone cheese and 2 tablespoons Cointreau in large bowl; fold just to blend. Using electric mixer, beat cream, sugar, vanilla, and remaining 2 tablespoons Cointreau in another large bowl to soft peaks. Stir 1/4 of whipped cream mixture into mascarpone mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining whipped cream.
Hull and slice 1 cup of strawberries. 

Spread 1/2  cup mashed strawberry mixture over bottom of a 9x9 serving dish or glass baking dish (Don't use metal like I did - it leaches a funny taste). Arrange enough ladyfingers over strawberry mixture to cover bottom of dish. Spoon 3/4 cup mashed strawberry mixture over ladyfingers - I gently drizzled the mixture on each lady finger. Don't worry about fully covering each lady finger - they will find a way to absorb moisture and become softer.  Then spread about half of the mascarpone mixture over. Arrange 1 cup sliced strawberries over mascarpone mixture. Repeat with a layer of lady fingers, mashed strawberry mixture, and marscarpone mixture. Cover with plastic and chill at least 8 hours or overnight. Or 4 hours if you just can't wait!

Slice remaining strawberries (= ~1 cup sliced strawberries). Arrange over tiramasù and serve.

Variations:
Individual servings: Layer as above in ramikins to make individual servings of Tiramisu. You may need to cut the ladyfingers in half to better fit the ramekins.

Italian Strawberry Shortcake - Use your favorite strawberry shortcake base (angel food cake, sponge cake, or biscuits): Slice cake, top with strawberry mash mixture, dollop mascarpone and sliced strawberries

Layer cake: Make a sponge cake, divide into layers and build your own layer cake with the Tiramisu ingredients

Tarts: Place about 1/2- to 1 teaspoon mashed strawberry mixture in bottom of a tart shell. Spoon about 1 tablespoon mascarpone mixture into each tart shell. Top each with a strawberry half.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Lady!
    You've inspired me to try the couch to 5K program. let's hope my knees hold up!

    ReplyDelete